Fort Hays State University
January 29, 2014
Dr. Tim Crowley, Dean of Graduate Studies and Research/Assistant Provost for Internationalization, called the Graduate Council meeting to order at 3:35 p.m.
Council members present were Dr. Robert Moody, Dr. Jennifer Bonds-Raacke, Dr. Kim Perez, Dr. Jayne Brandel, Dr. Dorothy Fulton, Dr. Christine Hober, Dr. Jim Barrett, Dr. Scott Robson, Dr. Tom Schafer, Dr. Jerry Spotswood and Dr. Greg Weisenborn.
Minutes from the Nov. 20 meeting had not been received by the Council and will be approved at the next meeting.
Old Business – the Curriculum Committee has not had a chance to review the new courses that were presented at the last meeting (LDRS 811 & MUS 876). They will try to meet and review these courses before the February meeting.
New Business – 5 more courses were added for the Curriculum Committee to review. They will add these courses to the previous 2 and will hopefully have them ready to bring to the Council for the February meeting.
There are currently no graduate faculty nominations; however, Nursing and Management and Marketing have some they need to submit.
It was also asked if there had been any change in financial aid awarding money for certificates and endorsements. Dr. Crowley said there had been no changes at this time. He did discuss that the Dean’s had been talking about the definition of a certificate and that the Provost is very concerned about this. Because the definition of certificate is so widespread across the campus it will be very hard to write a policy or create a single definition. If a change does happen, Dr. Crowley will share it with the Council.
Dr. Crowley requested Commencement Volunteers – there needs to be one from each college and a banner carrier. Dr. Brandel volunteered Dr. Marla Staab for Health and Life Sciences, Dr. Kim Perez volunteered to carry the banner, Dr. Tom Shafer volunteered for Arts and Sciences and Dr. Barrett volunteered for Education. Dr. Spotswood will be a back-up and will be the seater.
Dean’s Comments – Dr. Spotswood is organizing Research Day at the Capitol which will be held on February 12. It was asked if it will happen again next year and if the due date could possibly be moved. Dr. Brandel said this date was hard for her students to meet. Dr. Crowley stated that the Research Day is tied to the undergraduate day so it depends on what day that is scheduled. Because this was the first year, the due date was a little earlier and that it will be better organized next year.
Spring 14 enrollment is going very well. The Graduate School is up 130 students over last year. Last year was a record year (up 6%) and this year we are up 14% more for a total of 20% in the last 2 years.
FHSU also did well in the US News and World Reports Rankings. MBA is ranked 65, Nursing 76 and Education 20. The HRM program was listed as #1 on GetEducated.com. Rankings are now part of performance reviews with the Board of Regents. FHSU rankings didn’t change much from last year; however, there are now some big names on the list that weren’t there last year. FHSU now has more competition and branded competition.
Dr. Crowley asked if AEP was having capacity problems and if they had considered implementing a deadline. Dr. Barrett said a deadline is worth considering, but there would be some issues with Special Education waivers.
Both MLS and MPS continue to grow and Dr. Crowley asked if any other departments were having issues with growth. No other departments reported any major problems besides resources.
The Council asked about the search for the new president and Dr. Crowley had no information. He said that the first round of airport interviews would be held over spring break.
Next meeting: February 26, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.